When I started at the Recurse Center, I had several vague ideas of projects I wanted to work on. A throwaway comment on the price of beer in Budapest inspired me to see if beer could be used as a cost of living metric. The first maps I found polled …
- Scraped (2/5 data sources), cleaned, and visualized the cost of beer, coffee, and bread on a world map, using Python/pandas, Leaflet.JS, and Chart.JS. Feature-complete, tests and bugs TBD. (Github, Site)
- Revamped a PostgreSQL/Flask/React app for submitting compliments about fellow Recursers, including bugfixes, schema changes, and new UI components. Ongoing work. (Github)
- Adapted marketing materials from PowerPoint to a modern web format, using Django & Wagtail CMS to allow flexible page layouts, hosted on Google Cloud for secure client review.
- Deployed and maintained 200+ Chromebooks, 50+ iMacs, and 25 Windows desktops for students in a project-based interdisciplinary CTE (Engineering & Automotive) high school.
- Spearheaded CS/tech education by teaching programming & web design; designing curriculum and teacher PD; mentoring independent student projects; advising the Computer Club; and organizing career exploration.
- Trained and supervised students & staff using the fabrication shop. Example projects: building a recording studio; laminating & decorating skateboards; designing & constructing solar battery chargers.
- Designed and team-taught engineering/design and Algebra (grade 9) and math/physics (grades 10-12).
- Planned and taught workshops on: circuits (analog, squishy, and sewable); analog sensors; equity in STEM communities; duct tape costuming; soldering; multimeters; recycled electronic jewelry.
- Lead working groups on website maintenance/design, fundraising, drafting a new mission and policies, and project/task management during relocation to University City Science Center (2013).
- Published 75+ courses under a Creative Commons license, producing multimedia, copyright-cleared material, sample student work, transcribed notes, custom site architecture, and other features as needed.
- Supervised HTML/document authoring contractors and coordinated with IP and Production teams to design rich online content, meeting the needs of OCW users, individual faculty, and MIT as an institution.
- For the MIT-SUTD Collaboration, designed processes and trained staff to produce teaching materials for 87 classes, delivered to the Singapore University of Technology & Design (SUTD) by April 2012.